Happy Bank Holiday!
Isn’t it such a treat to wake up on a Monday morning and for it to be a Bank Holiday. I love them. So, what have you all been up to this weekend? Anybody tie the knot?
Well, for me, I have had a wonderful weekend. I took a trip to Brighton with my mum for a couple of nights to have a browse round some wedding dress shops, for inspiration, of course. I wasn’t going to buy anything, surely looking for the perfect dress takes months?
I had a very good idea of the type of dress that I wanted, the designers that I love, styles that I certainly wouldn’t go near (meringue-princess-style!) I envisioned a tea-length dress, something cute, 50’s or 60’s style. However, I did decide that I wouldn’t rule everything out. This was my opportunity to try on some exquisitely made dresses, not a chance I often get. I researched the shops I was going to, making sure that there was a selection that I loved. I didn’t want to waste their time, or mine.
Jenny Packham gowns, are as gorgeous as they look, yet actually on my hourglass figure they didn’t give me that “WOW” factor that I had hoped for – as beautiful as they looked, they weren’t ‘the one’. Caroline Castigliano gowns were gorgeous, again not for me.. Naomi Neoh – OH MY GOD! I could have snapped it up there and then. In fact, I thought I had found the one I was after. I thought it looked gorgeous, but I didn’t feel emotional about it but then, should you? I had another appointment booked for the following day, so if I was going to make a decision, I would do so tomorrow.
The next day, mum and I had a leisurely breakfast and stroll along the seafront and then made our way to the shop. It was luxuriously-fabulous. I was lucky enough to have the manager sit with me, discuss my ideas, my likes and dislikes… She grasped what I was after instantly. She was fantastic. Pretty much all of the gowns were fabulous, how would I decide? From Claire Pettibone to Temperley… They were all beautiful.
I tried on a range of styles and ooh’d and aahh’d. I felt like a Hollywood movie star trying on all of these gowns.. If only I could choose all of my clothes like this. I tried another one. It was incredible… was this the one?
Then, I tried on another one. It was perfect. I didn’t want to take it off, we all smiled. I had THAT moment. Yes, my lovelies… I had a couple of tears! haha! Sound silly, doesn’t it. Incredible.
I hadn’t intended it to happen. But it happened. I found the dress. We celebrated with a glass of bubbly. It was and is wonderful. I can’t quite believe it, but I am beyond thrilled with my choice. I wish I could show you a picture, but I want it to be a surprise for any friends that may be reading this… (even you, Karen!) hehe! I cannot WAIT to wear it, for Daniel to see me in it… What is even more special, is that Brighton is a place that is so special to us: we got engaged here, chose my engagement ring together, I got my dress here and Daniel will be getting his suit here, too.
My top tips for going dress hunting:
1. Have an idea of your likes and dislikes.
2. Consider your venue.
3. Don’t rule out all long dresses or short dresses.
4. If you are self-concious about any area of your body, let the stylist know. However, you may find that with the cut and fabric used, areas you were self-concious about could actually look fab!
5. Research the shops before you go, ensure they have styles you like.
6. However tempting it is, DON”T try on a dress that is way over budget – it could lead to disappointment.
7. Wear flesh coloured or at least white underwear – black knickers beneath those dresses is a no-no! I luckily thought of this prior to any appointments.
8. Trust your instincts – if you are unsure, have a think. You have to feel beautiful and truly happy in your dress so that confidence will radiate.
9. I would suggest going with your mum or best friend. Too many people could lead to confusion and be a bit stressful.
10. Celebrate your purchase with a glass of bubbly – or a bottle of bubbly, like me and my mum did.
11. One for luck – Have a fabulous time!
Until Next Time xxx