Ladies, it’s time to channel your inner Marilyn! Today, we have a fabulous vintage step-by-step make-up tutorial by the amazing Amanda Scruby! We adore this tutorial and will definitely be trying out these tips ourselves! If you try it out & take some pictures, please share them with us – we’d love see them! Over to Amanda!
Marilyn Monroe Makeup Step-By-Step Tutorial
As a makeup artist I’m often asked by my clients to recreate vintage makeup looks, particularly those of the ultra glamorous and sexy 1950s Hollywood Starlets. The makeup styles of Rita Hayworth, Audrey Hepburn and of course the ultimate blonde bombshell, Marilyn Monroe have all stood the test of time.
Marilyn Monroe’s iconic makeup style with her flawless skin, peaked eyebrows & full red lips, still looks great today and is requested by many of my brides.
So whether you are a bride-to-be wanting to inject some Old Hollywood glamour into your big day or you simply love all things vintage & want to give this look a try; here in this step-by-step guide I will show you how you can re-create Marilyn’s iconic look yourself.
Before you start applying your makeup always make sure your skin is well cleansed & moisturised.
- Buff your foundation across your entire face using a foundation brush or smooth over using your fingers. Marilyn had beautifully healthy & glowing skin, so for this look I love Chanel’s Perfection Lumière Foundation.
- Apply concealer under & in the corner of your eyes and on any blemished or red patches as needed. Most people need a little concealer around the sides of the nose as this area is prone to redness. M.A.C Studio Finish concealer is my favourite.
- Marilyn’s eyebrows were quite an unusual shape with a straight line peaking on the top and a rounded arch underneath.
To achieve this effect, using an eyebrow pencil draw a straight line along the top of your eyebrow up to a peak, then straight down to the end of your brow. Then underneath your brow create a soft arch and fill in with an angled flat brush, using a brow powder or shadow such as M.A.C Omega (chose the right shade for your brows).
- I’ve really pronounced the shape in the photos so you can see it well, however if you’d like to achieve the same shape, but with a more subtle brow; create the shape you would like then brush through with an eyebrow comb.
- Apply a light eyeshadow across the entire eyelid & brow bone
- Then using a blending brush apply a small amount of a darker/taupe shade into the crease (creating contouring & definition) and a small amount under the eye (to create some shadow). I have used M.A.C shadows in Vanilla across the eyelid and Wedge in the crease & under the eye.
- Marilyn almost always wore flicked out, winged eyeliner. The easiest way to achieve this is using a gel or liquid eyeliner draw a thin line, as close to the lash line as possible across your eyelid. Then decide where you would like your flick to end and draw a tiny dot. You can then draw backwards to connect the dot to the rest of the thin liner along the lashline.
For this look I love M.A.C Fluidline in Blacktrack and an angled eyeliner brush makes a neater line much easier.
- Next line the waterline using a white pencil to make your eyes look brighter & less red.
- Now Marilyn wore quite a lot of mascara, so to achieve her luscious lashes without ending up looking clumpy, wiggle your mascara wand into the base of the lashes and then comb outwards. Repeat as many times as you would like and if you really want to open up your eyes apply some individual or corner lashes onto each eye.
CONTOURING & HIGHLIGHTING
- Using a medium fluffy/blusher brush gently apply a darker powder to the hollows underneath your cheekbones & your temples. I love Benefit Hoola for contouring and a little really does go a long way.
- Next using a highlighter, apply a small amount on the very tops of your cheekbones. Laura Mercier Shimmer Bloc is gorgeous and gives you 4 shades to choose from or blend.
- Next on the apples of your cheeks, using a large fluffy brush apply a peachy/pink blusher such as Benefit Dandelion. Again keep this light as you don’ t want to end up making your skin look too matte.
- Using a dark pink or red lipliner, line all way around lips, smudging the liner in from outer edge, but not all the way in. Don’t be afraid to over-line smaller lips to create the shape you want – Marilyn always drew over her natural lip line to give her that trademark pout!
- Then using a lip brush apply your favourite red lipstick all over the lip & wherever you have used the lip liner.
As well as over-lining her lips, Marilyn also used to dab a lighter, more orange tone of lipstick in the centre of her lips. Putting this lighter shade into the centre of your lips and then blending out into your chosen red makes your lips appear fuller (& utterly kissable!).
- Smother in clear gloss for a high shine look.
THE FINISHING TOUCH
- If you really want to capture the essence of Marilyn Monroe then the look wouldn’t be complete without her trademark beauty spot. I have used M.A.C Eyebrows in Stud, but any dark brown eyeliner/eyebrow pencil will do.
- Add a few brushed out curls and you’ll have Marilyn’s sexy style complete.
Listed below are all the products I have used to create this look and links to where you can purchase them.
I really hope you’ve enjoyed this tutorial & you have fun trying it out. Just remember, practise makes perfect & there are no set rules. Adapt the look to suit you & why not even try a slightly more modern take on Marilyn’s makeup with a bright pink lip (such as M.A.C Candy Yum-Yum)?
1. CHANEL PERFECTION LUMIERE // 2. M.A.C LIPSTICK LADY DANGER // 3. M.A.C STUDIO FINISH CONCEALER // 4. LAURA MERCIER EYEBROW BLONDE// 5. BENEFIT HOOLA // 6. M.A.C EYESHADOW VANILLA // 7. BENEFIT DANDELION // 8. M.A.C LIP PENCIL KISS ME QUICK // 9. M.A.C EYESHADOW WEDGE // 10. M.A.C LIPSTICK MAC RED // 11. M.A.C FLUIDLINE BLACKTRACK // 12. LAURA MERCIER SHIMMER BLOC MOSAIC